RULES & REGULATIONS FOR LOCAL UNION NO. 68, IBEW HIRING HALL
(In accordance with By-Laws, Article XV, Section 10)
HOURS: *************************MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY*************************
For Signing Out-of Work List: Master sign-in is from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Dispatch will remain open until all calls are filled.
Monday through Friday
For Signing Day Book: Applicants may sign the Inside, Residential or Voice/Data/Video daybook in person between
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Applicants may also bid on job calls by calling the job recorder 303-297-0258 between 5:30 p.m.
(the day before dispatch) to 8:00 a.m. (the day of dispatch)
For Referrals: Referral for all Books is from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. or until all calls are filled.
Dispatcher shall refer all day book and bid book applicants in the order of their location on the master book.
Day book applicants will be called by name in the dispatch hall, bid book applicants will be called at the phone number provided.
I. SIGNING OUT-OF-WORK LIST:
1. Each individual must sign the Out-of-Work List at the hiring Hall, in person. Any person not signed in on the Out-of-Work
list prior to 9:00 a.m., dispatch starting time, will not be eligible for referral until dispatcher has gone through the
list of signers registered prior to 9:00 a.m. that same day.
2. A termination slip from last previous employer within the jurisdiction must be presented at the time of signing the Out-of-Work list.
3. All travelers must have a current travel letter (dated within 90 days).
4. Employment in another Jurisdiction – No individual shall be eligible to be registered on any Local 68 Out-of-Work list (other than those eligible to be registered on LU 68’s Book I list) if they are employed pursuant to the terms of an IBEW agreement in any other jurisdiction. If a registrant violates this rule, and the violation is verified, Local 68 will immediately remove the individual from the books. The individual must bring documentation of job separation prior to being allowed to sign the back of the Out-of-Work List.
II. BOOK SYSTEMS: Applicants may sign any or all of the following books:
1. METRO- this includes all of Denver, Broomfield, Jefferson and Douglas counties along with parts of Arapahoe,
Boulder and Adams counties.
2. PLAINS- this includes all of Sedgwick, Phillips, Yuma, Washington, Logan and Morgan counties along with parts of Adams, Arapahoe and Weld counties.
3. NORTH- this includes all of Larimer and Jackson counties along with parts of Weld and Boulder counties.
4. MOUNTAINS- this includes all of Eagle, Grand, Summit, Lake, Clear Creek and Gilpin counties along with parts of Boulder County.
5. SHORT CALLS- For all calls of fourteen (14) calendar days or less.
III. ROTATION OF OUT-OF-WORK LIST:
1. Long Calls will be read first and begin on Book I, Position 1 each day.
2. Short Calls will be fourteen (14) calendar days or less through no fault of the employee. You must re-register in person and must have a term slip (RIF), by 4:30 p.m. two business days following your lay off in order to be placed on the bottom of the Out-of-Work Short Call Book. No applicant will be permitted to change a short call into a long call. Charges may be filled against any member violating this provision.
3. Checkmarks (turndowns) will be implemented after there are any unfilled, non-specialty call(s), for three (3) consecutive dispatch days. Checkmarks will remain in effect for that calendar month, however, any checkmark(s) received will carry over to the following month.
4. Once checkmarks (turndowns) are implemented, all individuals are allowed a total of two (2) job turndowns on any one of the Metro, North, Plains or Mountain books. The third (3rd) turndown will result in the applicant being rolled to the bottom of the appropriate out of work list.
1. If an applicant for employment receives a referral and elects to return the referral, he shall sign the end of the Out-Of-Work
2. In the event the applicant does not report by starting time on the designated reporting date, the referral shall be
void and the applicant must re-register at the bottom of the Out-Of-Work List.
3. An applicant who is rejected from an employer will not be called to accept a referral for the same employer (except by mutual
consent of employer and applicant) for a period of thirty (30) days.
4. Being unavailable for referral when work would have been offered to the registrant shall be considered a Checkmark (turndown). Rejection of the applicant by an employer is not a Checkmark (turndown).
5. The Business Manager is responsible to fill calls in a timely manner as needed by employers. This means in an emergency,
referral may have to be made outside normal hours using whatever means are available to fill calls and place registrants.
6. An applicant who is fired from any call, whether it is a short call or not, shall sign the bottom of the Out-of-Work list.
V. EXEMPTIONS TO THE REFERRAL PROCEDURE (“Three Checkmark (Turndown)” Rule):
1. Any member working under a current SALT agreement
2. Any member with a current medical condition that would prevent them from being able to work. This requires a current (within 7 days) doctor’s statement to be exempt and a current (within 7 days) doctor’s statement to be eligible to take a job call again. These members are exempt from quarterly re-sign.
3. No member will receive a checkmark for any call requiring a specific skill. OSHA 10, Hard-toe work boots and no-smoking are not considered special skills.
4. No member will receive a checkmark for turning down any call requiring shift work.
5. No member will receive a checkmark for turning down a call for a Contractor that is delinquent in paying their benefits.
6. Members will be allowed up to three weeks exemption from receiving checkmarks for vacation. Vacation is granted in full week blocks from September 1 to August 31. Vacation requests must be called in or- handed into dispatch the day before said vacation is due to start.
7. Any member on Active Military Duty is exempt from checkmarks and monthly re-sign. Under USERRA regulations the hiring hall has an obligation to place the returning service member in the position in which he or she would have been if he or she had not left for military service.
8. A member on the out-of-work list will not receive a turndown checkmark for a job call if he or she is attending any local union sponsored journeyman upgrade classes, steward classes, or other training that may occur during normally scheduled work hours, nor will a member receive a checkmark if they are a delegate assigned, appointed, or elected to attend a class, conference, or convention as defined in Article XVII, Section I (d) of the IBEW Constitution.
9. A member on the out-of-work list will not receive a turndown checkmark for a job call if he or she has a pre-approved exemption from the dispatch office for items such as jury duty, court subpoena etc. Verification of attendance shall be required.
VI. JOB LISTING:
1. Job calls received by 4:15 p.m. will be listed on the Day Book for the following day.
1. Re-sign shall be quarterly, between the 10th and 16th of January, April, July (Annual Purge) & October.
2. Re-sign may be accomplished by U S mail, fax, e-mail, and website or in person.
VIII. DISCHARGE FOR CAUSE:
1. Individuals who receive two discharges for cause within a twelve month period will be suspended from future referral privileges until they appear before the Appeals Committee for a determination as to their continued eligibility for referral.
last update 1/30/2020